26 February, 2012

Obvious

I don't manage to keep in touch with all blogs that I follow as often as I'd like, but equally, with a blog as thought-provoking as Temposchlucker's, sometimes I am glad that he doesn't post every day : it would be just too much to cope with !

Catching up yesterday, I saw his post from a few weeks ago entitled "Precision" with an example of a problem from Chess Tactics of a 'crushing attack by White'.  ( see also the examples in the comments to his post).

I can't disagree with him, it was an example of a crushing attack and I did see it eventually, and didn't see it quickly for exactly the reasons he gives !

Coincidently, something similar, but much simpler, happened in a blitz game yesterday afternoon...

In the diagram below, White has just played Rf3 disconnecting his back-rank rooks. I felt I had the had the advantage, but it still took me too much time to see the move.

Black to play : a crushing attack

Sometimes, we try to look for the complex, when the simple and obvious is what we need.

2 comments:

ScotchYeti said...

"...disconnecting his back-rank rooks."

:-)

Keeping the a-rook hanging is never a good idea unless you threaten mate. Blitz is pretty much useless for any kind of training. Last week I made a mouse slip and suddenly played 1...c6 instead of 1...c5. Now guess what? Without knowing anything about the Caro-Kann I won the Blitz game against a 150 points higher rated player. If I can win like this (and lose in similar ways against lower rated player), the only conclusion can be that these games cannot be taken seriously.

Signalman said...

All true....however, although so obvious given a position and a hint, my first thoughts were around Re8, since I already had the "doubled rooks on the e-file plan".

Treat every position as a new one, and always ask what your opponent has achieved with his last move !